Friday, January 19, 2007

Rock Road Doorway

oil on prepared panel

7" x 5"

sold

This painting is of a back doorway of a private residence on Rock road in Glen Rock, New Jersey.
There is something about this piece that I really love. I think it's a combination of the color scheme and the composition. They say that if you find a composition in Nature that is 75% workable, then you are doing well. This composition is exactly as I found it, 100% perfect.
That is an incredibly rare thing to find out in the landscape, and it has only happened to me twice in 20+ years of painting. I also really like the way that the owners of this house have painted the doors, windows and trim different saturated tones. Lastly, I like that the three primary colors are represented here as a foil to the beautiful teal green clapboards and orange brickwork. There is something quite charming about doorways and windows found on these old houses in Bergen County that I just can't get enough of. I don't find that with most of the newer private home construction. There is a level of artistry in old architecture that is truly sublime which is getting harder and harder to find in new buildings.

One last note; I have started a second blog which will be dedicated to random thoughts about Art and Nature, and will be mainly used as a teaching tool for anyone who might be interested to learn a little bit about seeing as an Artist sees. I think it will be quite a lot of fun and very informative at the same time.
The URL is http://mark-oberndorf.blogspot.com/

It is still under construction, but I will get to it soon. I plan on having a mailing list for this blog as well as my primary blog, so if you are interested, please sign up or email me and I shall sign you up.

Thanks in advance!

3 Comments:

Blogger Dave Wilder said...

Fantastic piece, very eye catching. Obviously the owners of this place have quite an artistic eye of their own.

7:57 PM  
Blogger Mark Oberndorf said...

Thank you David!

7:31 PM  
Blogger grainne said...

Lovely clean paintings, they're great.

5:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogs Illustrated
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random
eXTReMe Tracker