Saturday, December 23, 2006

Dunkerhook

This is my painting of an old garage in Paramus, New Jersey. The area in Paramus is called "Dunkerhook", which translates from the Dutch as "The dark corner". For years I thought it was a description of the actual corner of the road (behind and to the right of garage), because of the great cluster of very old pine trees which line it making it very dark at night. Stupid me, it turns out that it actually is an old Dutch slave house, and the "dark corner" reference is a negative slang term they used to describe the area where the slaves resided. So, I figured let me give some honor and dignity to this area in respect to the people who were mistreated both physically and mentally there many years ago.

Let's all play nice together from now on, okay folks?

Merry Christmas!

This painting will be included in my one person show coming up next year at Kerygma Gallery in Ridgewood, N.J.

www.kerygmagallery.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogs Illustrated
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random
eXTReMe Tracker