Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Dairy Queen


oil on prepared panel

5" x 7"

sold


This piece depicts the old Dairy Queen in Montvale, New Jersey.
After scarfing down many a butterfinger/oreo blizzard at this place, I got to know the owner who happens to be an avid collector of all things DQ. I love going into the back of this shop and looking through all his old photographs, showing how this place looked in the 1950's,60's and 70's. It's fascinating to see how this place has evolved over time, yet stayed pretty much the same. I know for a fact that this is the original sign from way back when. I don't think that the DQ colors have been blue and white for quite some time. This place is a classic, a landmark that everyone in Bergen County knows. Let's hope it stays there for many years (and blizzards) to come!

Thanks again for looking!

3 Comments:

Blogger Johnnie Scoutten said...

This is great! WOW, memories here. I am now working on one of those old neon drugstore signs, so this is cool.

7:02 PM  
Blogger Darren Maurer said...

They just tore down three old time Dairy Queens here in Sioux City and replaced them with new buildings. The new buildings are boring,the old buildings had so much more character. I have a photograph of one location's freestanding sign that is very similar in design to this sign. I've thought about using it in a nostalgic Dairy Queen painting with the old building in the background.

11:29 AM  
Blogger Mark Oberndorf said...

Thanks guys! Darren, I hope you do the DQ painting, I would love to see it!

9:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogs Illustrated
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random
eXTReMe Tracker