Sunday, March 04, 2007

Good Coffee (Bendix Diner)


oil on prepared panel
6" x 6"
This one will be included in the show at Kerygma Gallery opening March 27.
This is a view of the neon sign on top of the Bendix diner located in Hasbrouck Heights, New Jersey.
Whenever I get the chance to go inside this legendary establishment I am amazed at the way John (the owner) maneuvers his way around behind the counter, in the main dining area and in the kitchen. I can literally spend hours watching him work his magic. He knows every inch of this place by touch because of the fact that he is sightless. He is more than able to run this place and serve customers without missing a beat. It is one of the most fascinating and awe inspiring things that I have ever seen. I find it a little bittersweet and ironic though that he will never get a chance to see my paintings of his beloved place.
John my friend, this one is dedicated to you. Godspeed.

2 Comments:

Blogger kaycrain said...

Awesome painting.......the "neon" just vibrates!
You are one talented guy.
And the back story to this one is so moving.
I'm verklempt!
Kay

7:41 PM  
Blogger Mark Oberndorf said...

Thanks so much for the kind words, Kay. My wife just had me rolling on the floor with laughter about my backstory to this one. She said "Godspeed? He's flipping burgers, not landing on the moon!"
Too funny!

7:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogs Illustrated
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random
eXTReMe Tracker