Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Petunia - South Truro, Massachusetts



This is one of the little bungalows that line route 6A in So. Truro, Mass. This is my fourth time painting this subject since 1990. Doing this piece again feels a bit like a homecoming for me at this point in my painting life. I say this because I did a painting of another one of these cabins back in 1990 and walked around Provincetown with it under my arm going in and out of every gallery on Commercial street trying to get accepted into one. I got rejected in every single one of those galleries, with comments like, "you can't just walk into a gallery like this and think you can get representation." I was getting very upset and discouraged after about the 12th rejection, and decided to just give it up, until I walked into the last gallery on the street. They were very excited about this little painting, and ended up taking me on board and giving me my first one-person show in 1992. By the way, I went back to P-town this past summer, and almost all of the galleries who kicked me out on my ass are now long gone, but the gallery that accepted me is still in business, going strong.
www.solagallery.com

Another side note; my very first sale as a professional artist was at this gallery, and the piece that sold was a view of this same cabin for $550. This new painting will sell at Kerygma gallery for close to $5500. How the times have changed!

I hope everyone has a healthy, happy and prosperous New Year!

2 Comments:

Blogger Jason Waskey said...

That's a great story, Mark.

Congratulations on your (well earned)success!

1:46 AM  
Blogger Mark Oberndorf said...

Thanks Jason!

8:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogs Illustrated
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random
eXTReMe Tracker